Please note: the applications for this grant are now closed.
It is our great pleasure to announce the Margreet Wijnstroom Grant to provide support for two (2) delegates from the least developed countries of the world to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2020 in Dublin, Ireland.
Who was Margreet Wijnstroom?
Margreet Wijnstroom (1922-2018) was the first female IFLA Secretary General and also the first full-time Secretary General. She oversaw the move of IFLA Headquarters from the United Kingdom to the Netherlands in 1971 and over the course of the following 16 years she helped IFLA more than quadruple in size and strength.
Margreet’s real passion was to expand IFLA’s global engagement and to this end she gave particular attention to redefining librarianship in the developing world.
What does the grant cover?
The grant will cover the full registration fee and EUR 500 for other expenses for each of the successful candidates.
- The grant is available to librarians and library workers from all library types.
- The applicant must be from one of the least developed countries (according to the UN LDC list).
- The applicant must be a member of his/her national library association (where applicable).
- Priority will be given to the applicants who are a first-time attendee to the IFLA World Library and Information Congress.
- The applicant must be eligible to obtain a visa for travel.
- The applicant must declare that she/he is able to fund all other costs beyond the grant that are involved in attending the Congress, e.g. all hotel, travel and subsistence expenses NOT covered by the Grant.
How to apply
The application should include a single file merging the following documents:
- Motivation letter, outlining the professional benefit for them to attend WLIC (max 300 words);
- One-page Curriculum Vitae containing academic qualifications, work history and involvement in professional activities or library innovation projects;
- Proof of membership of national library association (i.e. copy of membership card, letter from the association etc.);
- A statement indicating that if you are a recipient of this Grant, you have approval and support from your employer to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Dublin, Ireland.
The deadline for applications is 27 March 2020.
Successful applicants will be notified that they have received a full registration to the Congress by 10 May 2020. Applicants must confirm their attendance within two weeks of notification.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Margreet Wijnstroom IFLA grant” in the email subject line.